For me what I love about HypnoBirthing™ is that it’s about changing your mind-set about pregnancy and birth, challenging assumptions; and igniting your curiosity to learn more about your birthing choices; about empowering women to make their own informed decisions!
You will experience birthing in an atmosphere of calm relaxation, free of the fear that prevents the muscles of your body from functioning as nature intended them to. In this calm state, your body’s natural relaxant, and endorphins, replaces the stress hormones that constrict and cause pain.
rock your Birth
"Taking the world by calm, one birth at a time" - Marie Mongan
There are many misconceptions surrounding hypnosis. People often think it is something mystical or magical or strange, but it is in fact one of the most natural states to be in.
With stage hypnotists making people eat onions as if they were apples or dancing around a stage being a chicken, it’s not surprising that people can think that under hypnosis you relinquish all control of your mind to someone else, for them to do with as they please. But that is NOT the case. Someone in a hypnotic state CANNOT be made to do something they do not wish to do. Thus those people eating onions or dancing around like a chicken WANT to be doing that - more often than not because they’re stood in front of a large group of people and don’t want to look foolish!
The state of hypnosis is the same state you are in between sleep and wakefulness, when you are mulling over what you did that day or as you are slowly coming round in the morning. It is a day-dreamy state, such as the one you are in when you are absorbed watching a fire or completely engrossed in a book. It is simply a natural state of physical, mental and emotional relaxation, but with a heightened sense of awareness. Your body will feel relaxed, yet your mind will be highly focused and aware.
HypnoBirthing™ uses self-hypnosis techniques to programme the mother’s mind and body to expect the calm and comfortable birth that she wants and deserves. By lodging positive suggestions in her subconscious, that her birth will be as she wishes it to be, when the time comes her mind and body simply accepts that it will be a wonderful and gentle experience and so it is.
It sounds too simple to say its mind over matter, but to a point, that’s exactly what it is!
"And also a twice over HypnoBirthing™ Mummy which is why I have such empathy with my mums. Both my births were amazing and I put it all down to HypnoBirthing".
As well as enabling you to have a calm and comfortable birth, there are many additional benefits to HypnoBirthing™…
Benefits for Mum
1. Considerably shorter labour and birthing. A British study on the effect of hypnosis on the length of labour found a statistically significant reduction in the length of labour of first and second time mothers: 70 hypnosis patients (6 h 21 min) compared to 70 relaxation patients (9 h 28 min) and 70 control group (9 h 45 min). A notable reduction!
2. Significantly fewer surgical births/interventions and massively reduces the need for medication at all.
3. Reduces your risk of needing an episiotomy during birth with a stunningly simple massage technique.
4. Shows you how to bring about your own easy start of labour with simple, natural techniques, if you go beyond your "estimated due date".
5. How to be confident and informed when dealing with medical staff - when to question, what to ask...and when it's time to let them take charge.
6. Mums remain highly energised and in good spirits following a calm and gentle birth, which allows for quicker bonding with the baby.
Benefits for Babies
7. Babies born using HypnoBirthing™ tend to be calmer, feed better, sleep better and experience less trauma, because they have been gently and calmly breathed into the world at their own pace. This in turn leads to higher AGPAR scores (a measure of how well a baby is doing immediately after birth and after an additional five minutes). HypnoBirthing™ Baby Temperament Survey
Benefits for Dads
8. HypnoBirthing™ gives fathers a central role in the birthing process, instead of your husband or partner being a helpless onlooker, they become a central part of the birthing process; helping you to stay calm and focussed on the techniques you have both been taught.
9. He will become the spokesperson for this new family forming and have all questions and queries from the medical staff fielded through him, allowing you to just focus on your body and your baby. He is also vital in helping you to remain calm and focussed as he reads through prepared scripts and leads you on guided imagery.
10. There's nothing to bring a couple closer together than childbirth. Having such an active role in the birthing increases the father’s ability to bond early with the baby and deepens your family unit. You'll fall in love with your partner all over again!
So the benefits to using HypnoBirthing™ are significant and numerous.
HypnoBirthing™ is a unique method of relaxed, natural childbirth education enhanced by self‑hypnosis and guided imagery techniques that allow women to use their natural abilities to bring about safer, easier, and more comfortable birthing.
The tried and proven method guides and prepares a woman in giving birth in a peaceful and extraordinarily beautiful manner. It is a program that considers the psychological, as well as the physical, well-being of the mother, her birth partner, and the newborn, independent of context, whether that be in the quiet of a home, a hospital, or a birth centre.
The overall effect of practicing HypnoBirthing™ techniques is that birthing parents are better able to appreciate the benefits of calm, gentle birthing, making the experience a joyful one for mother, baby, and birth companion—benefits that can last a life time.
Women in our culture have lost the art of birthing, and hold an unprecedented fear of giving birth, too often associating it with excruciating pain, thereby causing their bodies to become unable to perform what should be a normal physiological function.
HypnoBirthing™ techniques teach woman how to release all prior programming about birth to free herself of limiting thoughts and emotions that lead to pain-causing fear and resistant muscles. When giving birth with HypnoBirthing™, a mother is not in a trance or asleep but instead in a state of deep relaxation—awake, aware, and fully in control.